Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Visit Alamos Mexico  |  Community  |  Tech Stuff... (Moderator: searanch)  |  Topic: Free Windows 10 Upgrade
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Windows 10 Upgrade  (Read 1089 times)
Admin
Administrator
Member less than 500 posts

« on: September 14, 2015, 10:23:16 AM »

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Are you upgrading from XP or Vista?

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for existing Windows 7 (SP1) and Windows 8.1 users. This offer doesn’t extend to XP or Vista and you can’t simply upgrade even if you're willing to pay. Updating requires a clean install.

Bottom line

While Windows 8 was an unpleasant surprise for a lot of people, Windows 10 goes a long way to putting that right. The OS is clean, familiar, and easy to understand, plus it has a wealth of new, helpful features that you'll actually want to use. The fact that it's free for the majority of existing Windows users, and can be rolled back quickly to the previous version if you don't like it, really makes it very, very easy to recommend.

My Experience upgrading Windows 7 and Windows 8 portable and desktop

Make certain that all the updates for your existing Win7/8 are done before upgrade.  Scan system for MalWare.  Here is a link to the free version.  Choose Start 14 Day Trial button.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/trial/?gclid=CPXeycL-9scCFY9cfgodpT8NyA

Clean up Windows Registry

By using Free Window Registry Repair regularly and repairing your registry your system should not only be more stable but it will also help Windows run faster. For your convenience it automatically backup any repairs made so that you always can restore Windows registry to the original state.  Here is a link to the free version.

http://free-window-registry-repair.en.softonic.com/

Backups and Windows System Image

Do a backup of your User Files.  Create a System Repair Disk.  Create a Windows System Image which is a large file of your complete system that you can use with the System Repair Disk to completely recover your existing system if Murphy shows up.

Upgrade

Now you are ready to do the Free Upgrade of Windows 10.  Be forewarned the upgrade can take up to 3+ hours and expect your computer to shut down and reboot a number of times.  If you find yourself looking at a blank screen during the upgrade don't freak out and turn your computer off.  Just let it finish and your screen will come back.  If you turn off your computer during the upgrade you will have bricked your system and Murphy will have ya.

Something Screwed Up

A number of things can happen such as your File Permissions (rare) can be reset to Read Only.  It happened to me and has been reported by a number folks.  MicroSoft has no generally accepted fix for this short of a complete new install. I have used the following Free Software used by IT techs.  If  you use this software successfully please make a donation to the folks that created the program.  Here is a link to the free version.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Do not use the tweaking program if you don’t know what you are doing.  It’s a Swiss Army Knife of Windows complete repair.

Advice is generally worth exactly what ya paid for it...
ODwyerPW
Member less than 50 posts

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 01:20:18 PM »

I upgraded to Windows 10 on a Laptop (Toshiba i5) that previously had Windows 8.1 Home Premium.  Flawless. All software and settings perfectly maintained, including VPN/Remote Desktop. It's my traveling computer.

I then followed with a Windows 10 upgrade on a Desktop that previously had Windows 7 Ultimate (my primary engineering workstation where I couldn't endure having Windows 8 as I use it every single day that I'm not traveling).  Near flawless, but broke my Cisco VPN / Remote Desktop Capabilities.  Built a full install media set on a ThumbDrive and did a Full Clean Install (Backed up everything prior). Was very fast.  Did require an install of all of my software of course. Restored all of my files and data too.  VPN/Remote Desktop now is flawsless and fast.

Office 2013 Pro plays very nice with Windows 10 on both machines... Even my older Microsoft Accounting 2008 played nice.. though I've been getting failure to register the software errors for 6 weeks... Chalk it up to the accounting software being end of lifed a few years ago.  Works fine and exports reports and invoices to Word 2013 and Excel 2013 just fine. This is the case on both the laptop and desktop.

I've also been running the Windows 10 Mobile (preview version) on my Cel Phone.  It's still a bit rough, but gets better with each version pushed down to me for testing.  It's slow on my modest cell phone (Lumia 520), reasonable on my wife's decent cell phone (Lumia 920) and quite fast on my better phone (Lumia 1520). Notifications and messaging are great. Very easy to manage multiple emails and calendars from the phone!

There doesn't seem to be the interaction between Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 for PCs you might expect. Not the kind of seemless interoperability that Apple folks always enjoy with their devices (ipads, iphones, imacs, etc..). Just these disconnected weird to use synchronization apps or cloud apps.  Microsoft is kind of missing the boat on this one with no WorkGroup or HomeGroup support. Should just be able to drag and drop files between my phone and desktop.... or share some of the directories on my desktop to my phone.  You can't.  Nor can you print a file from your cell phone. (I have Office on the cell phone too.. so I should be able to print off a Word document easily... you can't).  Tethering my laptop to my celphone when I must have connectivity works though, so that's good. We will have to see how Windows 10 Mobile (or if you prefer to call it Windows Phone 10) matures... it's official release is about 8 more weeks away.. Allow literally hours for your Windows 10 Mobil upgrades to complete.... Never interrupt any of the process even if it looks stuck while upgrading...

Don't know how many of you folks do remote work there, but that's why I passed on my experiences to you. The VPN disruption on my desktop was annoying and unforeseen... I did loose a day of work fixing that.

learning never stops
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 01:35:15 PM »

Thanks for your input.  I suspect that the tweaking software I listed above would have corrected your VPN issue and many you weren't even aware of.

Download the tweaking software at the link above and run it through it's thing on the Win7 upgrade.  It's a very thorough tuneup although it does take time.

Follow all the instructions to the letter...
tom allen

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 02:03:08 PM »

I have windows 10 on my desktop (all in one) and I really like it.   Those who are still using windows xp, you probably know it is no longer supported and therefore open for virus and malware, it is best you do not use it.  Depending on your computer you may not be able to install windows 10 and therefore you will probably need to buy another computer or take your chances with xp.
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 02:05:23 PM »

I have windows 10 on my desktop (all in one) and I really like it.   Those who are still using windows xp, you probably know it is no longer supported and therefore open for virus and malware, it is best you do not use it.  Depending on your computer you may not be able to install windows 10 and therefore you will probably need to buy another computer or take your chances with xp.

The second sentence of my missive above relayed the following:

This offer doesn’t extend to XP or Vista and you can’t simply upgrade even if you're willing to pay. Updating requires a clean install.
tom allen

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 05:00:48 PM »

My comment did not suggest you can upgrade from XP.  It stated that if you have xp you may not be able to install Windows 10 based on the machine you have depending on the processor, ram etc.  I have a ten year old laptop with windows xp and by running a windows 10 install compatibility it turned out that this laptop could not run Windows 10. I did not mean to imply that you have not given a total expansive and correct analysis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: