Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Visit Alamos Mexico  |  Community  |  Tech Stuff... (Moderator: searanch)  |  Topic: 24hr Timeout...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24hr Timeout...  (Read 737 times)
Admin
Administrator
Member less than 500 posts

« on: March 31, 2014, 08:36:51 AM »

Later today I will make comments and a statement outlining exactly what happened and why.

Stay tuned...
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 07:59:42 AM »

The forum was put in maintenance mode which is usually done in the early morning hours.  Given the amount of traffic in the last three months and a number of activities I don't wish to get into publicly the forum was overdue.  So what triggered it?  Glad you asked.

A member of this forum who signed up some 8 years ago and never posted decided they would solicit our members to join yet another Yahoo Groups.  First let me state the Yahoo Groups is a failed model.  I/we know what is going to happen as it’s happened twice.  I guess it takes three times a charm or put another way the definition of insanity is “doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result”.  I get it but do not wish to be a part of it.  When I was first approached to have folks use the visitalamos forum I sent a message/email inviting folks to come on over and it was rejected by Alamos Notes.  The censor decided they didn’t want to appear to support visitalamos.  That’s how I was treated.  I got thick skin but I don’t forget a lesson learned.

Now this member comes along and her first post is announcing the new Yahoo Group at the behest of her husband with “Those who would like to post opinions or have discussions and debates are encouraged to do so on visitalamos.com which is a more appropriate forum.”  That, to me, is a dog whistle suggesting “ We will post notices, announcements and information of interest to the local community” can’t happen on visitalamos.  It ticked me off and the next post responding to her was someone listing other peoples email addresses.

Given what I have had to deal with the last three months I chose to suspend visitalamos for 24hrs with a link to the new Yahoo Group inviting them to Please, Proceed.  I took the high road.  I won’t bore you with all the crap that’s happened in the background on visitalamos the last three months but suffice to say it’s been epic.  

In conclusion I am not interested in Yahoo Groups of any flavor and please I ask once again do not publish email addresses on this forum.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »

Before I had a chance to respond to a post on this thread it was taken down which the member who created it can do.  A feature I will continue to support.  

Three features I will no longer support is the ability of logged in members to view other members profiles which contains all their registration information (with the exception of logon codes and email if selected private), access to the membership list and stats.  I have been noticing for some time that only one member, the same member that removed the post, has been viewing the profiles on a continuing basis.  So Sparky, ya get to keep a feature and lose a few you have abused.

As for your assertion "I shouldn't be upset" you don't seem to understand that I have a fiduciary responsibility to protect the members of this forum and their personal information.  Read my original post on this matter as I hate repeating myself.

In conclusion you also have the ability to delete your own membership on this forum and move on.

Capiche...
denise
Member less than 50 posts

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:59:53 AM »

Wow. Mea culpa! I certainly didn't set out to insult you or your forum.  We decided after many conversations with others in our community to take another stab at a bulletin board that would send current happenings via email to those who wish to receive them.  I have been a member for many years (not months) and find this forum great for reading long discussions on complicated topics, i.e. immigration and visa paperwork, etc. Those were the discussions to which I was referring.

We were not involved in the behind the scenes of the previous Alamos Notes yahoo group as we were unable to even find out who the "moderator" was.  It is our hope that we won't experience similar issues, but if we do we do. Obviously, I hit a nerve with the owner of this site for which I am sorry.  It was not my intention to break your rules or cause you such anguish.
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »

Wow. Mea culpa! I certainly didn't set out to insult you or your forum.  We decided after many conversations with others in our community to take another stab at a bulletin board that would send current happenings via email to those who wish to receive them.  I have been a member for many years (not months) and find this forum great for reading long discussions on complicated topics, i.e. immigration and visa paperwork, etc. Those were the discussions to which I was referring.

We were not involved in the behind the scenes of the previous Alamos Notes yahoo group as we were unable to even find out who the "moderator" was.  It is our hope that we won't experience similar issues, but if we do we do. Obviously, I hit a nerve with the owner of this site for which I am sorry.  It was not my intention to break your rules or cause you such anguish.

I stand corrected you have been a member for 8 years and never once posted until you decided to proselyte the membership on this forum to a twice failed Yahoo Groups bulletin board model.  See my original post.  We don't have a lot of rules and you just experienced the fact we don't approve/censor our members posts.

Most of the folks here have been beaten up over the first two Yahoo Group failures and this forum won't be used as a vehicle to support another round.  No need to apologize you just "stepped in it" further aggravated by someone publishing email addresses in response to your post.  While I don't wish it you are in for a potentially bumpy ride.

I learned a long time ago that "no good deed goes unpunished" and "the amount of problems one encounters on a given enterprise is in inverse proportion to the amount of money you make".  Sadly free and good can be strong magnets for grief.

Good Luck with your endeavor...
Gary Newell
Gavilán de la Sierra
Member less than 50 posts

One Tequila~Two Tequila~Three Tequila~FLOOR

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »

...the definition of insanity is “doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result”.

Admin

You got that right!

I can't imagine why anyone might want to revisit that horrible train wreck known as Yahoo Groups. At first I was baffled by the claim that someone wanted to have a lump of posted messages dumped into their email box. And then I reasoned that the Yahoo Group was populated by a few older folks who don't like change... something new... something different. Some people would rather suffer in the ruins and not be pushed into a learning mode with Web Browsers, bookmarks and so on. For those who are willing to wade through an email listing everything that everyone has posted, so be it. However, I am one who will pick those items that are of interest to me, and skip the stuff that really doesn't matter.

To the person who posted a notice inviting others to join a new Yahoo Group, that was done in poor taste and may expose others to the problems which plagued the previous two Yahoo Groups that failed.

And finally, I wish the thank Admin for not giving up or abandoning those of us who respect and value the Visit Alamos Forum.
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »

"...may expose others to the problems which plagued the previous two Yahoo Groups that failed"

Gary,

You said it better than I.  That is exactly what is at the root of my objections.  Anyone is welcome to publish links to and/or promote anything which may benefit the members of this forum.  Including, but not limited to, competing forums, alternate methods of community interaction and bringing something to the party that is not already there.

Even guests can view all of the posts and members posts are not approved/censored.  That's why we are currently experiencing 24 thousand hits a month since the beginning of this year.

For all of the members making a contribution Thank You.  After all it's your community...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: