Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Visit Alamos Mexico  |  Community  |  U.S. Consulate and Mexican Immigration information (Moderator: searanch)  |  Topic: Residente Permanente Visa and Automobile
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Residente Permanente Visa and Automobile  (Read 397 times)
Melanie
Member less than 50 posts

« on: January 25, 2014, 09:53:16 PM »

Unfortunately only a handful of people attended the Town Hall meeting on Friday, January 24th at the HDLS with Adam Smith, Chief of American Citizen Services of the US Consulate in Hermosillo. He did emphasize one point that I think is worth sharing with the foreign community here in Alamos. It is now clear that if one has a Residente Permanente visa, one is not allowed to have a foreign (ex., US or Canada) plated car in Mexico. That is something to think about when deciding to apply for a Residente Temporal visa or the Residente Permanente visa.

Rolly Brook in his website (rollybrook.com) discusses the current immigration law and vehicle requirements in a little more detail.

Melanie
Mary Ayers

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »

Hi Melanie, Yes, this is been in effect ever since I came to Mexico.  The two questions that appear to not be answered are:  What can you do about your car if there is a J in the vin number.  The reason I mention this is that Mexico will not license a car with a J in the vin number.  What to do?
The second note I am asking is why does the Counsel in Hermosillo not have a link that explains to new permanentes the laws with which we must follow here.  It would certainly be to all of our advantage if the Counsel had a link in which they explained and referenced the laws in English for all of us.
Thanks.
<Mary Ayers
Melanie

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:30:58 PM »

I posted on this forum the point emphasized at the Town Hall meeting about individuals with the Permanent Resident card not being able to have a foreign (ex., US or Canada) plated car in Mexico as a town meeting participant, not in any official capacity. You would need to find out from the appropriate Mexican agency (Aduana?) about importing a car made in Japan. It is my understanding that only cars made in the US or Canada (members of NAFTA) can be imported. But I'm no authority on the topic.

I did ask Adam Smith to speak with Mexican colleagues about providing the immigration requirements clearly in English. It is our responsibility to follow the law, yet it is not easy to understand the law or to get accurate information. There are websites that discuss the regulations, including yuculandia.com

http://yucalandia.com/2012/11/08/updated-mexican-immigration-rules/

Such websites try to share accurate information, but these are not necessarily "official" sites. And the laws get interpreted differently in different places by different people.

Perhaps we can use this forum to share sites we find particularly helpful.
Melanie

robyn t

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 11:03:28 AM »

I am thinking about importing my car, weighing the pros and cons. Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of car tags and the special insurance for driving in the US? Any info greatly appreciated, Robyn  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: